Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Vi Veni Veniversum Vivus Vici

The time has come to talk about that movie I was thinking about the other day while writing about "From Hell"... Because tomorrow, my dear readers, is a very special day indeed...

"Remember, remember, the 5th of November... Gunpowder Treason and plot... I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason should be forgot!".

In the night between the 4th and the 5th of November 1605 (403 years ago), some English Catholic revolutionaries tried to execute the Gunpowder Plot... Their idea was to blown up, literally, The Houses of Parliament, killing King James I and his family, besides some aristocrats too, because English Catholics weren't not much tolerated in that ages... So, long story short, Guy Fawkes, a.k.a. Guido Fawkes (because he fought as a mercenary in the Spanish Tercios in Netherlands) was caught when he was placing several gunpowder barrels in the basements of the House of Lords, in The Parliament... The King had been adviced before that, thanks to an anonymous letter he received, probably written by one of the conspirators who didn't want innocent people to get killed because of that "Boom stuff". So... Guy Fawkes was locked up in the Tower of London, tortured and killed...



And since then, to remind the inhabitants of that Perfidious Albion how traitors are treated even in their own homeland, in the United Kingdom they celebrate the "Bonfire Night", very similar to that Spanish traditional St. Joan's night, in which they set bonfires in the streets and burn stuffed dummies representing G. Fawkes, denominated simply "guys"...

Ok, ok, let's stick to the plan! I'll talk about one movie I certainly like... I'm referring to "V for Vendetta". This movie's based on another graphic novel by Alan Moore, with the same name. And, even if there's some differences between the movie and the novel I like both of them...


In V for Vendetta, settled in a non-distant future, England's ruled by an authoritarian government, which tries to control what people hear, talk, and above all, think. Evey (Natalie Portman) is one of those who live in fear, trying to get the shackles off her feet in order to be free... One night she meets a strange man... A man dressed with a black cape and a black hat too, clutching several knives, who wears also a Guy Fawkes mask and refers to himself as, simply, "V" (Hugo Weaving). V's planning to tear down that awful goverment by blowing up The Houses of Parliament, just like Guy Fawkes tried to do in the past...So, as I don't want to spoil you the end of the film, if you like it... watch it!

About the film... It's not very similar to the great novel which inspired it. In fact, Alan Moore disinherited himself of the film before it was released... But it has some good points too! Nice soundtrack and cinematography (indeed!) and, above all, a perfect representation of the character of V! Wugo Weaving did a great interpretation of a character without face! How? With his voice and gesticulation... So, that's why is good to see this film in English!

I love the character of V... and, just like him, I enjoy listening to some classical music too... And there's a magnificent piece of Tchaikovsky, used also in the film, called "1812 Overture". The last movement of that Overture's used in the last scene of the film... And I'd like to show it to you... So, I'll tell you what:

OPTION I: I've seen the film already and I want to delight myself watching the end of the film again, including music...





OPTION II: I haven't seen the film, so don't screw its end! Upload something else in order I can see what the fuck are you talking about!



Enough for today, I guess... And don't forget: Freedom! Forever!

1 comment:

Nuria Vidal said...

I certainly enjoyed "V for Vendetta" and would recommend it to any youth ready to change the world.

Your English is good, I've said so many times but these agreement mistakes make me worry. Read your texts twice, will you? Thanks!

-I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason should be FORGOTTEN
-Their idea was to BLOW up, literally, (EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE PLACED "literally" between comas and it's correct it'd be better here: -Their idea was to LITERALLY blow up,
-in (that) ages (MISTAKE? YOU SHOULD KNOW!!!! I'VE CORRECTED THIS BEFORE AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CORRECT IT!)
-Spanish Tercios in THE Netherlands)
-there ARE some differences between the movie and the novel