Sunday, October 19, 2008

Lights... Camera... Action!

Welcome back, my dear guests... Sunday afternoon again... A good day for watching a film, don't you think? So... as our teacher suggested us, let's talk about films!

I love cinema... I love it since I saw that first projection of those Lumière brothers in that Salon Indien du Grand Café, back in the 19th Century... And I realized instantly that it had a lot of possibilities... So I guess I was right! It's quite possible I'll talk again about films in the future... and now I'm thinking about a concrete one... but... no... Today's not the proper day to talk about that film!

So... I'll start with this
modern film about... me! I'll start, of course, with FROM HELL. And... Wow! Very fortuit indeed! It was released just 7 years ago, that 19th October of 2001.


From Hell (2001), 118 mins.
Directed by Albert Hughes & Allen Hughes.
Cast: Johnny Depp (F. Abberline), Heather Graham
(M.J. Kelly), Ian Holm (Sir W. Gull), Robbie Coltrane (Sgt. P. Godley).
Produced by
Jane Hansher & Don Murphy.
Written by Terry Hayes & Rafael Yglesias.
Based on the graphic novel by Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell.

...And quite a good graphic novel, I'd say! Alan Moore is considered one of the best comic writters of all history, and he did a good job with this "From Hell" indeed! Because it's not an ordinary mistery novel, where there's a smart police or detective who's chasing the criminal... No... Because here, we know who the killer is in the fourth chapter of the book... In fact, in quite a way, Jack's the main character of this novel... So, lucky me! Ok, no more talking about the book... But I recommend it to you, because it's great...



Ok... about the film... There'll be some spoilers in here, so you shouldn't go further unless you want to see the film and find out by yourselves who's the killer... Because, of course, just like other films of this genre, you have to discover who's the killer! Cluedo stuff... In spite of this difference between the novel and the film I should say that's quite interesting!

Mistery! Some prostitutes are found dead in the streets of Whitechapel... Nothing unusual except by the way they were killed... Accurate cuts, organ removals... now, that's not very usual! Inspector Fred Abberline (Depp) starts investigating this strange case with the help of his loyal Sgt. Godley (Coltrane), one "unfortunate woman" named Mary Kelly (Graham) and of his also unusual psychic abilities... What first seemed to be just another day in Whitechapel turns into a plan worked out by Queen Elizabeth II and the freemasons to cover a secret marriage between her son and a catholic ex-prostitute that may cause such a scandal that would end with the monarchy, because of the birth of their daughter, in fact heir to the crown of Great Britain... That's when Sir William Gull (Holm), former surgeon and current doctor of the Royal Family shows up, executing the plan by killing each one who witnessed that forbidden wedding...

Interesting theory! The doctor of the queen killing hookers in Whitechapel... because that syphilitic jerk of Edward Albert, Duke of Clarence enjoyed fucking whores... and even marrying them! There are other theories... some of them very funny! But I'll talk about that another day...

Focusing on the film... I think it's a good film! I mean... it's not the best film ever made, but it's quite enjoyable... Hictorically talking, it's quite accurate, relating some real facts... Just like the way they were killed, some characters (Abberline, for instance... with no psychic stuff, of course!) and, especially, the backdrop... Whitechapel looks exactly as it was! And that's quite difficult to do, because if you visit that lovely neighbourhood right now you'll be very surprised! Very close to the financial district of the city... there's not a trace of narrow streets and dark alleys... excepting maybe one thing! Ten Bells Pub, which the victims frequented and which is still there! You can have a pint there... And toast for me! By the way... The last time I visited London I went for a touristic walk across Whitechapel, following the path of the Ripper! Ironic, huh? The guide was Ronald Rumbelow, a former policeman and expert in Ripper murderer's... It was quite funny, attending that walk... But very interesting indeed... So, if you go to London you can try to follow my steps there, thanks to "London Walks".

So, interesting film, despite of that typical made in hollywood ending, with Mary Kelly escaping from her destiny and running away with that blue-blooded child... by letting Jack killing other poor girl instead of her... Hm... Machiavelli would be quite proud of her! Other curious thing: The prostitutes. They were not as pretty as the film ones... Most of them were quite old and awful... excepting Mary Kelly... I'll post some pictures another day...

More films another day! Enough by now... You'll find the trailer of the film just below... See you real soon, beloved readers...






2 comments:

Mr.Bean said...

Excuse me Sir Jack the Ripper but you are a crack! I'm fascinated with all your posts. It's simply incredible.
I like very much this film, I think it's the only film I've been able to watch in Tv, with all this vomiting of adverts.
You have made me remember how tense I was the first time I watched it.

Nuria Vidal said...

I have to confess your life is not my favourite cup of tea, but I also have to admit it's really interesting and fascinating to quite a large number of people! I might, in the end, become interested too. You are certainly contributing to the task!

Well done! Two in one! Book and film review!

A few things to comment on:

-Very FORTUITOUS indeed!

-by letting Jack killing ANother poor girl instead of her... Hm... Machiavelli would be quite proud of her! ONE MORE curious thing: The prostitutes.
"OTHER" IS PLURAL.